UNCG Dept of Media Studies News

The University of North Carolina at Greensboro

An update from Grad Student abroad, Colby Gottert (part 2)

October 31st 2010

I have just completed my second day of filming in Chittagong, Bangladesh. Here in Chittagong we are gathering footage and shooting interviews for a video about diabetic retinopathy, which is the affliction that leads to blindness in people living with diabetes.  Diabetes is becoming and significant public health concern in Bangladesh and across the developing world as diets and lifestyles change.  Many Bangladeshi are now eating more processed foods that ever before, which is contributing to the rise in the number of people living with diabetes.

We started filming yesterday at a hospital for people living with diabetes.  There we filmed different medical procedures and interventions related to eye health.  At the hospital we met a lovely woman who had had laser surgery to mitigate the effects of diabetic retinopathy and she invited us to interview her at her house, so we went to her neighborhood, conducted the interview and shot a bunch of b-roll with her family.  We also took out the glidecam and shot some great footage of her walking to the market to buy food for the evening meal.

This morning we filmed at an eye clinic where patients come to get laser surgery.  We filmed all of the steps in the process of medical evaluation and counseling that precede surgery as well as the surgery itself.  Finally, we concluded the day by filming b-roll in the streets of Chittagong.  The city is massive and there are hundreds of thousands of people and vehicle pumping through the streets, so it makes for a very dynamic.

James Gould (MFA ’13) wrote me an e-mail asking what our post-production workflow is in the field.  We are not really doing any editing during our trip per say, however we are shooting to solid state media, so we have to transfer our footage and back it up each evening.  I am traveling with a MacBook Pro, which has an express card slot that the SxS cards from the Sony EX1 fit in to, so every evening I fire up a 2 terabyte hard drive and transfer the footage to that drive.  I take the entire root folder from the SxS cards and back it up on the hard drive.  I then use the “log and transfer” function in Final Cut Pro to convert the footage to Quicktime so that it can be edited in Final Cut.   After the footage is transferred back it up on a second drive to ensure that is my first hard drive fails I have everything safely stored on a backup.  Fortunately I have two 32 gb SxS card in my Sony EX1, so I have about four hours of shooting time.  This is usually more than enough recording time for a day of shooting, so I never have to transfer the footage midway through filming.

Tomorrow should be another interesting day because we are interviewing a number of eye care specialists in order to fill in the gaps in our story.  Then on Tuesday we are leaving Chittigong to head into a rural area where we will begin work on our second story about homestead food production.

All the best,



Written by uncgmst

November 5, 2010 at 4:04 pm

%d bloggers like this: